Saturday, December 15, 2012

Chapter 14


Lymlock
Chapter 14
      That day was frustrating. The rest of the sorcerers were all freaking out about something or other. I wasn’t really paying attention. I was thinking about other things, such as, oh, I don’t know, running the kingdom. I had heard about a rebellion starting in the east, which was much more important.
         I walked into the throne room, planning to just relax for a while.
On the low table in the middle of the room was a piece of paper, long and white. I went over to it to see it was blank.
“What is this?” I muttered. I didn’t have time for stupid things like this.
I was about to toss it away when words started appearing. It was enchanted, apparently, and I read the faded words.
“You are Malin Lymlock. Yes or no?” it said.
“How does it – yes, of course I am.”
“Malin-”
Before the next words appeared, I snapped, “Don’t call me that!” My parents had given me that name, and I had always hated it. “Call me Lymlock.”
“Lymlock, we are trees from the Fruntieri Forest. Most people call this forest the border forest, as it is located on the border between Rhellens and Melzult. As you may know, some of us are benevolent and some are malevolent. We are the ones who are malevolent. We have decided to help you. This is the reason you have received this paper. Would you like to have information about people working against you?”
“Of course I would,” I said, now eager. Although irritated by how slowly these trees got to the point, I felt as though I had to be polite or they would refuse to help.
“There is a group of four working against you within our trees,” the paper now read. “Their names are Akeelay Pather, a human; Maybelle Collins, a wizard; Kaolin Claystone-“ I gritted my teeth at the name. The thought of him still angered me, even after days had passed. At least now I knew his general location. “- a wizard who used to be a sorcerer; and Dossik, a centaur. They are trying to get a magykal feather from a museum in Melzult. This feather will wake up any person, human or magykan, who is under a spell based on the same type of potion that the king and queen are under.”
“So that’s what they’re after,” I said to myself. They weren’t just running aimlessly, they were actually trying to get somewhere. Too bad they didn’t have trees on their side, I thought. They might have actually made it. But I could arrange a little greeting for them when they got through the forest. If they even made it through, of course. The border forest was notorious for getting people killed.
I laughed happily. Suddenly everything was going my way.


No comments:

Post a Comment